- When will the updated application material be available?
Applications will go live in mid-August, so updated application material is usually available from late July. The deadline for completed applications will be 23.59 on a day in late October. Please see the Information for Applicants for the precise closing date.
- General Advice
Please read the Information for Applicants. This gives detailed information regarding eligibility, application requirements and selection criteria. Once you have read that and done some detailed research on the Harvard website, you are welcome to ring the office with particular questions.
- Is there someone who can advise me?
You are welcome to ring the office on 020 7222 1151 to discuss Frank Knox Fellowship applications with Annie Thomas. She also administers the Kennedy Scholarships.
- What is the relationship between Frank Knox Fellowships and Kennedy Scholarships?
Frank Knox Fellowships are offered by Harvard University. The UK awards are currently administered by the Kennedy Memorial Trust, in association with Harvard University. Kennedy Scholarships are part of the British national memorial to President Kennedy. The formal relationship between the two awards is therefore a purely administrative one, with Annie Thomas as the only person in common. They are two distinct awards, with separate application procedures.
- Can I apply for both a Frank Knox Fellowship and a Kennedy Scholarship?
Yes. These are totally separate awards and you would only be asked to choose between them if awarded both at interview.
- Who should I provide as my referees?
Please note that referees' contact details are compulsory fields on your application form and you should request permission of those whose details you give.
You must give a professional email address - not a gmail or hotmail account, for instance.
You are asked for one referee who has supervised some aspect of your academic work at university. Your second referee does not need to be an academic but should be someone familiar with your performance at university as well as afterwards. Be aware that a generic reference from an employer will rarely advance an applicant's case. If you have been working for a number of years and have an employer who is free to write specifically about you and your strengths, that could be a useful reference for you. You are welcome to ring the office for advice regarding potential referees.
- Can I use the same essay and referees for both my Knox and Kennedy applications?
Yes. Kennedy and Knox applications are read by different panels.
- Must I have met all requirments for admission to my US programme before applying for either award?
The short answer is No. The important thing here is that you are aware of the application deadline for the programme of your choice and are beginning to put together a serious academic application for it. If you are intending to take a degree programme, the US deadline will be some time between early December and early January and you will need to have completed your GREs by that time too. You do not have to have done this before submitting your application to either award.
- I have an application pending for other awards; does that matter?
No. You will only be asked to choose as deadlines arise.
- I have an application pending for UK citizenship. May I apply?
Your UK citizenship has to have been granted by the time you apply for a Frank Knox Fellowship.
- Dual citizenship
Dual citizenship is not a barrier in applying, as long as you meet the criteria re residency.
- Do I need a First Class degree to apply?
The short answer is: "No." You do not need a first class degree to apply for a Frank Knox Fellowship. However, you should bear in mind the intense competition for places at Harvard. The strength of your academic profile will obviously be the significant factor in admissions decisions and it therefore also features strongly in the competition for the award. It is also true that those with first class degrees are the strongest applicants for Special Student/non-degree status too.
- I am already enrolled on a Master's programme in the UK. May I apply for a subsequent one in the US?
Yes. There are no restrictions on the number of Master's programmes taken prior to a Fellowship application.
- The US Master's I would like is wrapped up within a PhD programme. May I leave after the Master's element?
You should only apply for the PhD programme if you genuinely intend to complete that degree.
- I am already partway through a programme in the US. May I apply for funding?
- Must my US application be submitted by the award deadline in October?
The short answer is No. What is important here is that you make your Harvard application in the same application season as your Knox application and that you meet all Harvard deadlines and any additional requirements for the programme of your choice. Knox Fellowships cannot be deferred. You must therefore complete your university admissions application in the same season or withdraw from that particular year's competition.
- Do I need to take the GRE tests?
Anyone applying for a degree programme, apart from the LLM, is likely to have to take these tests. Visit www.ets.org/gre for information and access to practice material. UK Arts graduates should particularly invest time in preparing for the Quantitative test. Applicants to doctoral programmes should prepare thoroughly for these and for any subject-specific tests which may be required. Please note that GRE results, where required, constitute a part of your formal application for admission and are subject to deadlines. Check the specific requirements of your chosen programme and do not leave it too late to book your test as spaces are limited.
- Do the CPE/GDL and/or LPC/BVC count as a year at a UK university or university college for Knox applicants?
- I will apply as a Special Student. Can I delay my US application until after the interviews?
Yes. The deadline for Special Student applications at Harvard GSAS is not until early March, so after the interviews.
Harvard Kennedy School non-degree applicants will have to apply ahead of the interviews. Check the HKS website; the deadline for non-degree students is now the same as for all other HKS programs ie usually early December.
- I will be applying for a Visiting Fellowship. Can I delay my US application until after the interviews?
Yes, The deadline for applications for Visiting Fellowships is after the interview dates for both awards.
- Will you confirm receipt of my application?
Once we receive your Knox application online we will send you an email to confirm receipt. You will then hear from us again either at the end of November or just before the office closes for the Christmas break.
- I need to change something on my application. Is this possible?
Unfortunately, once you have submitted your application form online you cannot change your details.
If you have a major problem, please contact Annie Thomas on 020 7222 1151.
- How is my information protected?
We use a server certificate (also known as a digital certificate) to assure you of our identity and a secure sockets layer (SSL) to encrypt data transmissions.